Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Psalm 119

For my 21st birthday I received the full 7 volume Treasury of David by Charles Spurgeon. It should keep me busy for a while. :-) I picked up the volume on Psalm 119 and have just started reading it.
Psalm 119 has always seemed to be a favorite Psalm of many godly men and women both past and present and, though I have read it many times, I have sometimes wondered what was the unique treasure that they found within its lines. I found a sound rebuke for my own lack of depth in Spurgeon's words, "Many superficial readers have imagined that it (Psalm 119) harps upon one string, and abounds in pious repetitions and redundancies; but this arises from the shallowness of the reader's own mind..."
So I have begun to go over Psalm 119 again with the aid of Spurgeon's commentary and I am eager to see if I can dig below the surface of its sacred verses. Augustine said of Psalm 119, "In proportion as this psalm seemeth more open, so much the more deep doth it appear to me; so that I cannot show how deep it is. For in others, which are understood with difficulty, although the sense lies hid in obscurity, yet the obscurity itself appeareth; but in this, not even this is the case; since it is superficially such, that it seemeth not to need an expositor, but only a reader and listener."

No comments:

Post a Comment